I live not far from the tower. My children returned around midnight and said that it was calm there. It seemed that the two victims from Friday should be enough -one was shot, and another was run over by a tank. That should appease them. Around 1:30 we heard gun fire. I went to the hospital in the first available car. There were already a lot of wounded there. There were also a lot of our doctors and nurses. The wounded people in the reception room quietly and patiently waited for their turn. Most of them had wounds on their heads from being beaten by gun butts. There were also patients who had been shot and were in more serious condition. When our Minister of Health arrived, I was sent to the Red Cross Hospital. There were a lot of wounded people there. The ambulances worked very effectively. Loreta Asanavičiūtė had already been operated on.

I remember one patient who was in very serious condition. Even now, a week later, he is the resuscitation department. When he was brought in it was hard to make out how he had been injured. His hair was badly burnt, and his face was swollen, and although it was without burns, it was covered with wounds. His chest was mutilated. Small wounds covered his stomach and legs. We couldn't make out if they were shot wounds or not. On the X-rays we couldn't see any bullet fragments or anything. Now we know that he had picked up an explosive packet which had been thrown at his legs because he wanted to throw it back. The packet exploded in his hands, and the blow from the explosion tore up his lungs.

A lot of people came to the hospital that night and later, and all of them offered their assistance. Perhaps they could carry something, help, clean up, or give blood. When it was announced that they were short of drugs and painkillers, people started bringing whatever they had.

By the way, the most serious patients were brought in first. At that time it seemed like the shooting wouldn't be stopping any time soon, so everyone who could walk went home. Only a few people were hospitalized, because the people left themselves, even those who had concussions. Their wounds were bandaged and that was enough for them. After a few days, of course, they had to call or come in for another examination. Those that didn't feel well were hospitalized again.

Lithuania, 1991.01.13 : documents, testimonies, comments. - Vilnius : State Publishing Center, 1992, p. 153-154.