director of „Vyturys" publishing house, Vilnius

At 12 p.m. on January 11, 1991 I was among a small group of people by the main door of the Press House. Shots could be heard from the direction of the National Defense Department, and a few tanks, armored vehicles, and two trucks with paratroopers rumbled in. An air-raid siren was on. The tanks stopped in front of us and aimed their guns at the building. The paratroopers dispersed as they jumped out of the vehicles. Their sub-machine guns rattled as they loaded bullets into the barrels, and upon command, they trotted tow3ards the entrance. The door was only protected by about 20 men, their hands clasped, and about the same number of women standing behind us. The paratroopers (in battle gear, without any rank badges, and wearing helmets) ran up to us and hit me in the face with their fists since I was near the entrance. Then three of them tore me from the human chain, one of them hitting me in the neck with the butt of his gun, and threw me down the stairs. I blacked out for a short time. I felt my shoulder get kicked twice, and as I was getting up, I was wondering if they were going to hit me on the head or not. The paratroopers had already gone inside through the broken windows and doors - they hadn't been stopped by the weak stream of water from the fire hoses. When I got up, a stout, middle-aged para-trooper with a wireless at his side, ran up to me. With his right hand he positioned his tommy-gun, and with his left, he grabbed my jacket and tried to drag me to the truck. I resisted, and our tug-of-war lasted long enough for me to remember his face and to begin scaring him - „look, you're being photographed, you'll have to answer for this". He kept silent, but looked around. So did I. Spotting a few guys further away, I asked them to help me. Three of them helped me get free (later I saw a picture of this scene in the newspaper „Laisvoji Lietuva", issue No.1, page 3), and even though I wasn't far away, the para-trooper didn't try to seize me again.

After about five minutes, when a lot of people had already come, two older paratroopers passed me on their way from the tanks to the door, which was blocked once again by women. On the roof I saw four young men. One of them turned on a stream of brownish water, but it was weak and at first it missed the approaching paratroopers. When they were almost under the roof, a strong stream hit one older paratrooper under the collar and knocked off his winter hat. Then he ran a few steps back and fired at the guy. I was only standing about five meters from the paratrooper, so I had a good view of the young man as he disappeared behind the ledge while the bullets riddled the concrete. Later I found out that the guy had been seriously injured by a colonel. In a rage, he turned his sub-machine gun at the women blocking the door, but a second soldier ran up and stopped him. I saw one more scene close up - a young paratrooper with Asiatic features, his eyes filled with horror and his face distorted, loaded his machine-gun shouting „Ja vam... pakažu!" („'ll... show you!"), and pointed it at the people. But another paratrooper standing nearby rushed up to him and pushed the barrel upwards.

Lithuania, 1991.01.13 : documents, testimonies, comments. - Vilnius : State Publishing Center, 1992, p. 87-88.